Keyword density

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  martinsmith 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Quake
    Participant

A tip for everyone here: be careful of keyword density. This refers to how many times important keywords are mentioned in the page compared to total words. As a minor factor in ranking, a high keyword density is not ideal and may get you penalized.

Brogan
    Participant

High keyword density can also read unnaturally. It used to be something like 2.5 words per hundred was the optimal density. I don’t know if that’s still the case but you have to make sure that keyword placement looks and sounds natural within the text that it’s placed.

Good topic, Quake.

eustace
    Participant

I have heard a lot said about keyword density but then, what form does the penalization take? I think the use of keywords should be in such a way that a page looks natural.

Seth
    Participant

There are so many people who still have this idea in their heads that they need to insert their keyword every two seconds and that’s just not necessary anymore. In fact, you’ll probably get penalized instead. I use Yoast plugin to help me work out the proper density for my articles.

Anonymous

The penalty can be in different forms, such as having difficulty being ranked or being marked as a spam website. The latter definitely hurts the website a lot, as it may be blocked from being displayed on the search engines’ result.

eustace
    Participant

The latter can definitely hurt a business. I now see how important it is (than ever before) to take matters to do with keyword density, very seriously. At a time when competition is rife, a business cannot afford to compromise its online prescence.

Quake
    Participant

What I am not sure yet is about using social networks. I can understand if our WordPress blog gets flagged as a spam website if the keyword density is too high. What if we post the content on a Facebook page or using too many hashtags on Twitter? Are our accounts also marked as spam?

Meg
    Participant

My own personal rule for keyword density that has worked for me for years is to have it in the following: the H1 title, H2 title, the image tags and in the short description (the one that shows up in the Google search results). Then I just sprinkle it around the content in each paragraph without overdoing it.

If you are using WordPress as your blogging platform, I suggest the Yoast plugin; it makes everything so much easier.

Quake
    Participant

I’ve never really thought about using plugins or other programs to help with keyword density. At first, it didn’t sound like something worthy of paid apps, especially after I heard about its minor contribution to SEO. What does Yoast do, Meg?

Diego
    Participant

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to a website looking for some information but was forced to leave because of badly written articles which had keywords stuffed in every possible place. That’s just sad!

Peter Saydak
    Keymaster

If you use the Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress then it’ll calculate your keyword density for you and let you know if you have too much or too little.

There’s a guide to using this plugin in the tutorials section on this site.

Peter John
    Participant

Hi..i am a new user here. Also i am new to digital marketing domain. I think there are so many people who still have this idea in their heads that they need to insert their keyword every two seconds and that’s just not necessary anymore.

Johnathan trott
    Participant

Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword or phrase appears on a web page compared to the total number of words on the page. In the context of search engine optimization, keyword density can be used to determine whether a web page is relevant to a specified keyword or keyword phrase.There is no ideal or exact percentage for better ranking. Personally, 1-3% of keyword density along with “semantic keywords” and LSI keywords works best for me. Google suggests to write natural articles. Again, there is no ideal percentage, but placing your keyword in natural places will work the best.

martinsmith
    Participant

Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword or phrase appears on the web page compared to the total number of words on the page… high keyword density leads to spamming…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This